Video is loading...
- 1 sweet potato or yam
- 1/3 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- 1 red/orange/yellow/green sweet pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 seasonings of your choice (garlic powder, steak spice, pepper, chili pepper, etc.)
- 1/3 cup tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olives
- 1 tbsp. diced chives
- 1/3 cup of ground beef (for the meat lovers)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Dice tomatoes, peppers, chives, olives and put into separate piles.
- Slice the potatoes into thin chunks, simulating the look of thick nachos.
- Pour the seasoning base (oil & seasoning) in a separate mixing bowl. Stir.
- Remove the seasoned potatoes from the bowl and place on a greased non-stick baking sheet, spreading them apart by about 1”.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes per side. Be sure to flip the potatoes over and put them in the oven again until brown.
- While you are waiting, take the ground beef and put in a frying pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes crumbling with a fork occasionally.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and top each potato with your choice of vegetables and toppings; tomatoes, peppers, olives and chives. You can lightly sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Put the beef in the middle of a platter and surround with your new potato nachos. You can dip your nachos in the beef for added protein or add salsa on the side.
— Submitted by Karl J., University of Lethbridge